Although the Club had hosted Amateur Championships before the First World War, it was not until 1923 that The Open Championship was first held at Troon.
In 1922 the Club was invited to host The Open the following year as The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers deemed that as their course at Muirfield was undergoing extensive remodelling it would not be ready in time for the Championship they were meant to host.
Given that the Championship in those days was much smaller and less complicated affair than today it was still a large event for the Twenties as the great American golfers were starting to come over to play in numbers. Walter Hagen and Gene Sarazen led the transatlantic contingent but the the event was won by an Englishman, Arthur Havers, who tamed the "breezy links o' Troon"
As Championships have grown in size and courses have been lengthened over the years Troon has replaced Prestwick, where the first Open was staged, and become a true test of the best professional and amateur golfers in the world and is now a regular on the Open circuit and for other competitions.