Club History

A Brief History of One of the Greatest Links Courses in Scotland

16th March 1878 - Troon Golf Club was formed

1878 James Dickie was appointed Captain.

James Dickie

1878 Dr John Highet held the office of Honorary Secretary.

Highet

1879 6 holes laid - Mr Charles Hunter - Custodian of the Links Prestwick Golf Club.

1882 Mr George Strath appointed Professional.

1883 Formation of 18 holes commences, Mr G Strath supervises.

1886 First of a series of Professional matches over 5 years involving Messrs Fernie, Jack, Campbell, Simpson, Sayers, Kirkcaldy, Vardon, Braid and Taylor.

1886 Opening of first Clubhouse.

1888 Mr W Fernie (Open Champion 1883) appointed Professional.

1888 Old Course extended to 18 holes.

1895 Relief Course Development opened (Portland).

1904 British Ladies Open Amateur Championship Charlotte (Lottie) Dod.

1907 Scottish Ladies Close Amateur Championship (Miss F Teacher).

1914 Qualifying rounds for The Open Championship (Prestwick G.C.).

1914-18 1st World War.

1920 Dr Alister Mackenzie commissioned to re design relief / new course which will become The Portland Course.

1923 The Open Championship (Arthur Havers, England).

1923 The Scottish Amateur Championship (Tom Burrell, Troon).

1924 Mr Duncan McCulloch appointed Professional.

1925 Qualifying rounds for The Open Championship (Prestwick G.C.).

1925 The British Ladies Open Amateur Championship (Joyce Wethered, England).

1932 Men's Home International (Scotland).

1938 The Amateur Championship (Charles Yates, USA).

1939-45 2nd World War.

1940 Red Cross Funds Match - Cotton, Burton, Adams and Kyle.

1949 Scottish Ladies Close Amateur Championship (Miss J Donald).

1950 The Open Championship (AD Locke, SA).

1952 The British Ladies Open Amateur Championship (Moira Paterson).

1952 Men's Home International (Scotland).

1953 Mr W J Henderson appointed Professional .

1956 The Amateur Championship (John Beharrel, England).

1956 The Scottish Amateur Championship (Dr Frank Deighton, Hilton Park).

1957 Scottish Ladies Close Amateur Championship (Miss M Speir).

1962 The Open Championship (Arnold Palmer, USA).

1963 The Scottish Amateur Championship (RDBM Shade, Duddingston).

1963 Scottish Ladies Close Amateur Championship (Miss JB Lawrence).

1968 The Amateur Championship (Michael Bonnallack, England).

1969 The Scottish Amateur Championship (Jack Cannon, Irvine Bogside).

1970 Sean Connery Charity Tournament.

1971 Mr RB Anderson appointed Professional.

1972 First Playing of The Helen Holm Trophy - Ladies Competition, to become in 1973 The Helen Holm Scottish Ladies Open Stroke Play Championship which is played annually over the Portland and the Old Course.

1972 Men's Home Internationals Tie: Scotland-England.

1973 The Open Championship (Tom Weiskopf, USA).

1976 Ladies Home Internationals.

1977 The Scottish Amateur Championship (Allan Brodie, Balmore).

1978 Troon Golf Club - Centenary Year - receives The Royal Accolade .

1978 The Amateur Championship (Peter McEvoy, Scotland).

1979 Scotland v England - Ladies Match.

1982 Scottish Ladies Close Amateur Championship (Jane Connachan).

1982 The Open Championship (Tom Watson, USA).

1984 Men's Home Internationals Tie: Scotland-England.

1984 The British Ladies Open Amateur Championship (Jody Rosenthal, USA).

1989 The Open Championship (Mark Calcavecchia, USA).

1991 The Scottish Amateur Stroke Play Championship (Andrew Coltart).

1997 The Open Championship (Justin Leonard, USA).

MILLENNIUM

2000 The Millennium Celebration - A Grand Match (RTGC & TLGCT & TPGC).

2000 The British Mid Amateur Championship (Andrew Farmer, Scotland).

2003 The Club’s 125th Anniversary.

2003 The Amateur Championship (Gary Wolstenholme, England).

2004 The Open Championship (Todd Hamilton, USA).

2008 Mr KG Stevenson appointed Professional .

2008 The Senior Open Championship (Bruce Vaughan, USA).

2009 The Scottish Amateur Championship (David Law, Hazelhead) .

2012 The Queen's Diamond Jubilee - A Grand Match (RTGC TLGCT & TPGC).

2012 The Amateur Championship (Alan Dunbar, Ireland) .

2012 HRH The Duke of York Young Championship Trophy (Ragnar Gardarsson, Iceland)).

2016 The Open Championship returns to Troon.


Troon Golf Club was formed on the 16th March 1878, at a Meeting of enthusiasts, in the Portland Arms Hotel in Troon. The first Captain appointed was James Dickie who held office for four years. Dr John Highet held the office of Honorary Secretary from 1878 until 1893.

The Club's first Honorary President was His Grace William John Arthur Charles James, The 6th Duke of Portland K.G., P.C., G.C.V.O.

The first Captain appointed was James Dickie who held office for four years.

In 1879 six holes were designed and constructed by Charles Walker the Prestwick professional who's title was "Custodian of the Links". By 1888 the course had been extended to eighteen holes measuring 3 miles, 1 furlong and 156 yards.

George Strath was appointed the first Professional to the Club in 1882 and to date only five other Professionals have held the position. He was substantially involved in the design of the 12 and 18 hole Courses prior to leaving in 1887.

 Dr John Highet held the office of Honorary Secretary from 1878 until 1893.

His successor Willie Fernie, by the following year, had implemented further changes to the layout of the 18-hole course. By the time of the 1997 Open Championship the Course stretched to over 7000 yards.

Troon Golf Club was formed on the 16th March 1878, at a Meeting of enthusiasts, in the Portland Arms Hotel in Troon.

The first Clubhouse of a substantial nature was completed in 1886 and additions and alterations over the years have provided the Members with a building of character and considerable charm.

The Troon Relief Course was opened in June 1895 and in 1920 Dr Alister Mackenzie redesigned the Course. The course was used as a qualifying course for the Open Championship in 1923. In 1924 the name was changed from the Relief Course to the Portland Course. In more recent times, the qualifying rounds for the European Open in 1979 were played over the Portland Course.

In the Centenary Year, 1978, the Club was proud to receive the Royal Accolade.

Ladies had been playing golf over the Troon Course and in 1882 they decided to form a Club under the name of the "Ladies Troon Golf Club".

At the first meeting the Committee resolved to write to Troon Golf Club to ask for permission to use their links every day except on medal days. Dr John Highet replied " it was resolved that the Ladies' Club be allowed the use of the Links for the remainder of the season.

In May 1882 it was agreed that the Ladies could have the Craigend hole on the men's course and part of the neighbouring land for their exclusive use.

In 1886 the Ladies Links were extended and in 1889 Her Grace the Duchess of Portland became Patron of the Ladies Troon Golf Club. In 1890 a subscription list was opened to raise funds for a new Clubhouse. he new Clubhouse was opened in 1891 and in 1897 new plans to further develop the Ladies Clubhouse to the present day building were well advanced and the third Clubhouse was formally opened in 1898 and the Club was renamed "The Ladies Golf Club Troon".

The British Open Championship has been played at Royal Troon on eight occasions.

In 1904 the first open Championship event was held at Troon and fittingly it was the British Ladies' Golf Championship.